Thursday 17 December 2009

Black to the future


I can’t help looking at the escapades of Doc and Marty with great envy.

Ok, so I haven’t yet invented the flux capacitor and I haven’t figured out how to generate 1.2 giggawatts of power but my attempts at time travel have been doomed to failure since the day I was born.

I would like a go at surfing the time continuium but as a black man the chances of me enjoying a flying DeLorean are slim.

I reckon I, and most other ethnic people, would enjoy the future – especially with Barack Obama around to shape it.

But how would we fare in the past?

McFly was able to go back 1885 and 1985 relatively unfettered. Granted, his modern clothes looked stupid but that would be the least of my problems.

The 16th to the 19th centuries are out immediately, as is the American Deep South during most of the 20th century (to be fair I wouldn’t visit during the present day) and I would stick out a mile as a serf in feudal England.

I don’t often feel the need to issue advice but if I was ever asked I would respond as follows: always be polite, treasure your friends and never, under any circumstances, travel faster than 88 mph.

The results may not be as exciting as they seem.

2 comments:

Ralph Savage said...

Hi Leigh; it sounds as if, like me, you were bitten by Back to the Future as a kid. Interesting rant though - have you ever thought about the role of black people in UK society before mass immigration? There were a few interesting individuals and it's a good area to research. For example, this link about Ira Aldridge showed that for him at least, success was not impossible as a black actor in the Victorian era! http://www.black-history-month.co.uk/history/pages/men/ira_frederick_aldridge.htm

catherine said...

Dude. Check out North End's top England goalie (and also England Cricketer), Arthur summat from the 1880's/90s. He was an 'ethnic' as you say and he did wonders for good ol' Preston. Much like yourself.
Catherine x