Friday 4 December 2009

Childen in need... of a drink?


Looking back fondly on our teenage years, we all remember being turfed out or refused service at a pub, bar or some kind other drinking establishment.

Memories of sending my tallest friend (measuring a jaw-dropping 6’3 at just 15) into our local off-license to buy as many bottles of Hooch and WKD as we could carry still bring a smile to my face.

And while the pimpled faced youth of today remain unwelcome in places for adults, there has been a emerging trend in even younger pub patrons... toddlers.

I don’t remember it becoming acceptable, welcome or fashionable but there seems to be an explosion of parents smuggling their very young children into bars.

I was with my sister in a pub a couple of Sundays ago and we were almost outnumbered by the little people.

Children were skipping around, toddlers were sitting in high chairs mashing their fists into food and parents were looking on admiringly wherever I turned.

And this was in the middle of the night.

Not having children myself, I’m not in a position to say what is good parenting and what isn’t but it seemed unfair to both the other drinkers and – ironically- the children themselves.

As an adult, the pub hasn’t managed to retain any of its mystique. Literally they are places that just serve alcohol – usually at rip off rates.

So, simply put – for a child – the pub is boring. Which was probably the reason why everyone under five feet tall was engaged in a game of tag.

And like all the other drinkers, I had to mind my ps and qs. No rude jokes, no swearing and no objectifying the opposite sex.

It seemed a tad selfish of the parents to me – the pub is clearly a place not meant for the under 18’s let alone the under 5s.

Maybe pubs should have special areas for children... or maybe parents should leave the young ‘uns at home and let us joyless, childless folk pickle our livers in peace.

3 comments:

Chris Spencer said...

I think it's ok for there to be a 'family section' in a pub but this should be clearly marked out so that people like myself who don't want to hear screaming, crying and everything else that children do. Family sections should also close at about 5pm with no minors allowed in at all after this time. I even know of one pub that outside says 'Strictly over 21's only' yet when your inside there are lots of kids and 16-18's.

I'm an adult and I want the pub back!

Leigh-Ervin Jackson said...

More than anything it was the parents that were annoying! It's the arrogance of thinking that they can let their kids run around anywhere they like. Also, if you really fancy a few evening drinks - leave the kids at home!

Unknown said...

I agree with Anonymous. Especially that bit when he said "聊天室,ut聊天室,視". Never a truer word spoken.