Sunday 10 June 2007

Much ado about nothing

This week Channel 4 broadcast their controversial documentary detailing the final moment's of Diana's life and I was mildly disappointed to discover that it was much ado about nothing.


The documentary, Diana: The Witness in the Tunnel, provoked outrage and even prompted the princes to speak out against it.

It seems that dissenters should have waited until they say the programme before they gave such spirited protests.

Not only did the program deal with the death of the Princess sensitively but the photographs it used were not gratuitous and were appropriately censored.

It turned out to be a documentary not about Diana herself but the plight of the paparazzi who were inappropriately used as a scapegoat for the incident.

Channel 4 were able to attract 3.8 million viewers for their show helped largely by the over the top and premature reaction of those who see any treatment of Diana's death as disrespectful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've not seen the programme but one thing i am certain of is this country has a habbit of over reacting to something before seeing it like with the Jerry Springer musical.

If people aren't happy with a programme they should just refuse to watch not complain and whine before its showed.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments completely. The programme was more about the paparazzi, and their story than of Diana. I really could'nt see what all the fuss was about. I really cant understand how people could judge a programme before seeing it. It was a well made and sensitively constructive piece of programme making. I am glad that I saw it.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I'm experiencing some of these issues as well..

my web blog; Batman Games