Saturday 9 June 2007

The McCanns and the media circus

At the risk of sounding very unpopular I think that is about time that the McCanns took a break from courting the media limelight and began to reflect on the actual whereabouts of their missing daughter Madeleine.

They have suffered a tragedy that must be every parents worst nightmare and my heart, and indeed the hearts of the nation, are with them but it is inappropriate for them to be touring Europe.

I understand that the purpose of these trips are to raise awareness of the missing girl but I think it is grossly unfair to devote such time and attention to one case where others are just left with the odd page in the national press. It also unnecessary for the McCanns to have an audience with the Pope where there surely must be others more in need.

I find it dismaying that some stories are subject to great media bias where others are afforded little coverage. Madeleine is not the first child to go missing and nor is she the last but I cannot recall any other occassion when a child has gone missing and their has been a continental tour of appeal for their return.

The media has heralded the strength and courage of the McCanns but has refused to criticise there inexplicable decision to leave three children under the age of four alone and unattended in a foreign country without even locking a door.

The McCanns appear to be becoming minor celebrities due to their irresponsible behaviour and this is must not be allowed to happen.

I am with everyone who wishes for a safe return of Madeleine but the time has come for them to stop playing ringmaster to the media circus and actually start working with the Portuguese police to find their missing child.

4 comments:

generation veXed said...

I have to say, I agree with you. I wonder how this situation would have panned out, if Maddie wasn't white and blonde? I think the McCanns have sensed a backlash brewing, and have decided to take time out to 'mourn'. It is definately an uncomfortable situation.

Anonymous said...

Hearing about missing Madeleine was quite a shock, but hearing that the parents left the kids alone was even more shocking. I know that they've already been criticised a lot, but why do a lot of parents assume that when they're on a sunny, happy holiday that their kids will be safe from weirdos? I doubt they'd have left them alone to go to a restaurant when in England. And the whole thing in today's news about the possible sighting of Madeleine in Morrocco six days after her abduction - but now only the parents are going there...? I think the Portuguese police have been really pants over the whole thing too.

Anonymous said...

the media has gone OTT over this one missing child, the parents were very foolish to leave 3 kids under 4 alone, having said that I hope and pray that the poor little innocent child is found safe and well but as the time goes by it is looking increasingly less likely that we will have a happy outcome. God bless that poor child.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what has been previously said. Why on earth would you leave your 3 children alone in a strange environment whilst on hols to go an eat at a restaurant down the way? If it was a romantic thing, either set up a dinner for two in your apartment or leave the children at home with family/friends!
It has been a while now, I do hope she is found alive.